0

Ode to Mt. Apo

Posted on Wednesday 6 April 2016

Written during my first climb and included in my first book, “Beyond the Horizon”….

ODE TO MT. APO
By Apolinario Villalobos

You could have just been a dream…
Yet, here I am, biding my time
            from where I’ll start my trek
            over hills, mountains
            thick forests, hot springs and lakes.

Please consider me one of your people…
            those who dwell at your foot –
            Bagobos, Manobos, and others
            whose smile, warm and sweet
            vanishes the fear and fatigue
            of intruders like me and the rest.

Uncertain of what to find….
            I don’t mind at all
            for I know, I’m among a good people.

I don’t mind the trek from Makalangit -
            past the Fourteen Stations
            to Mt. Zion
            or the nerve-rending leaps
            from boulder to boulder
            sixteen times across
            the gurgling Marble River
            that girdles your waist.

Ah, beloved Apo…
            your sonorous Twin and Malou Shih Falls
            delightfully blend
            with the songs of birds
            and chirps of cicadas
            music that no man can feign.

Lake Venado, unruffled…
            serenely mirrors your soul
            and the seemingly drop of tear, Lake Jordan
            furtively glistens under the searing sun.

Even for a moment while up here…
            on the summit
            I become part of you
            as my wary soul is soothed
            by your enchanting Lake Agko.

But there’s more to these…
Things that I need to understand -
            those behind the curtains of moss
            and orchids that hang
            from the limbs of century trees;
            those beneath your soft carpet
            of lichens and grass
            that swallow our steps
            as if to muffle whatever
            sound they might make.

You are the ultimate answer desired
            by those who long
            for adventure and mystery;
and, it may take a long time
            for you to be transformed
            from a dream into reality…


Discussion

Leave a response